Monday, March 07, 2005

The Clay Court Affair Part III

I have moved to http://blog.thinkersroom.com, and i have also migrated all posts and comments. YOU SHOULD NOT BE HERE SO CHANGE YOUR BOOKMARLS/BLOGROLLS ACCORDINGLY!!!!
Having diligently followed what dear mama told me about counting to ten before doing anything, I have gone four better and counted to fourteen (days) before writing to the Daily Nation. The deafening silence from them leaves me acutely puzzled.

From: M
To: Charles Onyango Obbo (Managing Editor, Products)
Cc: Lucy Oriang (Manaing Editor, Magazines)

Good morning.

I'm not sure who I should have addressed this to, so i've addressed it to the two of you to be on the safe side. I have been patient for all of two weeks on this matter, and i feel it's time i spoke out.

As you are doubtlessly aware, on the 25th of February Clay Court featured some material sourced from myself without full acknowledgement. You cannot imagine my surprise and amazement at reading my own writing in the Weekend Magazine, especially since I have on occasion freely submitted material for publication. The irony of the situation was not lost on me.

Personally I found the reference to "the full unedited article is available on the Internet" acutely wanting, and as a matter of fact wrote the columnist on the matter, and in turn was assured that due credit would be given.

I gave him and the Nation the benefit of the doubt and awaited for the same and yet again was very surprised when again acknowledgement was not given in the issue of the 4th of AugustMarch.

I'm sure that some sort of editorial policy is in place that governs the operations of the newspaper. Silence on the matter is not likely to resolve anything, and in fact the debate generated on the entire issue in the vibrant online community I fear has not been favourable towards the Nation. The longer the matter remains unresolved the more your readership will cast what I like to imagine, an unwarranted jaundiced eye on your establishment, which i'm sure is very unfortunate indeed.

I find this attitude very puzzling from a Newspaper that for a long time i have held in the highest regard. I have not received any communication, formal or otherwise from the Nation on the matter. Why is this? My contacts are freely available. Quite frankly I am unsure of what to think of this situation.

I look forward to your response.

Regards,

M
(http://thinkersroom.blogspot.com)


Again, the response ought to make for some interesting reading

Outkast - ATLiens